Translate

Saturday, March 14, 2015

"Virginia General Store" Auction Ending Saturday

 Virginia Country Store by Twomey
"Virginia Country Store", Twomey, oil custom framed

 Virginia Country Store by Twomey
"Virginia Country Store" enlarged


Click Here to be taken to the auction for the custom framed, original oil painting by Catherine Twomey.


This original, custom framed oil painting by internationally award-winning artist Catherine Twomey speaks to the nostalgia of warm summer days. Painted en plein air (outside, on site), it is of a Virginia General Store. It oozes the heat and light of a late summer afternoon, where the old pumps sit waiting for their next customer along the shadowed country road.

I painted this building because it has become an old friend; I pass it almost daily. It's design and classic beauty were obvious. I spent hours painting it as the day waned, but loved every minute.

On archival linen board, the size of the painting is 5 X 7", with the frame it comes to 9.5 X 11". The frame is custom made by King of Frames (California) and is a rich brown wood with a gold lining and very well made, ready to hand. It sets the painting off beautifully and will enhance any setting.

The colors, texture, contrasts of light and shadow evoke the emotions of the 1940's, when this store was built. It is a southern classic still serving a contemporary clientele with dignity and charm. 

Background

My artwork has been featured at the world renowned TED (Technology, Education and Design) conference (TED MED in San Diego, on huge high definition screens throughout the exhibition center). I recently won the nationally acclaimed ArtInPlace competition in Virginia which placed a 12' X 24' mural on aluminum of my work, now seen by thousands of commuters daily. 
Two museums currently house my art: The William H. Benton Museum in Connecticut, and The LLoyd Museum in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was a great honor to be asked to exhibit and I continue to add to their collections. Speaking of collections, my work is a part of hundreds of private collections worldwide.
I've won many national and international awards for my artwork, and am a published author which means I have no excuse for bad writing or editing. Mea culpa. I'm not nearly as good a writer as my brother Steve, who won a Pulitzer Prize and has some books in the works. I do, however, try.
I have studied with some of the best artistic and scientific minds in the world: fellow medical illustrators. Leonardo da Vinci is considered the first medical illustrator, and his knowledge, technical abilities and deep curiosity are benchmarks for the field. As a Board Certified Medical Illustrator, I have had the privilege to know and learn directly from some of the most extraordinarily talented, smart and influential visionaries living today.
Fine art influencers include Georgia O'Keefe, da Vinci, Rembrandt and Degas. I look to their struggles and triumphs, and their unflinching persistence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment